12th May 2014
Click on the link to read the latest Ofsted Report for Fowey Community College: FCC_Ofsted Report_April 2014
The inspectors found that the school has improved significantly since the last inspection and we are now a Grade 3. This means that we have moved up a level to Requires Improvement, demonstrating that we are making excellent progress.
The inspectors identified many strengths, including:
- GCSE results in 2013 improved significantly
- Students behave well in lessons and around the school
- The way…work is marked is both encouraging and helpful
- Students with disabilities or special educational needs and others receiving extra funding make good progress.
They also report that the most able students are making excellent progress and have high aspirations, adding that teachers track students’ progress effectively. The Ofsted inspectors noted the following:
Students are friendly, articulate and they and their parents agree that they are safe in college, demonstrating that it fosters good relationships.
The inspection team have also provided feedback on areas where we need to improve. Specifically, Fowey Community College must:
- Speed up the progress made by students
- Improve students’ attendance and reduce the number of persistent absentees
- Improve leadership and management by…enabling leaders and managers to explore best practice*.
*This means working in partnership with other schools.
We have already begun to address the report and its areas for improvement. The senior leadership team, teaching team, our governors and our Adventure Learning Academy Trust sponsors are collectively focused on ensuring your child’s academic success.
Fowey Community College has made rapid and significant progress since the previous inspection, as demonstrated by our 2013 GCSE results, which were nearly 20% higher than the previous year. Such progress is the result of a committed team effort and I want to take this opportunity to thank our staff, our governors, you – our parents and carers – and most of all, our talented students, for the continuing hard work and ongoing support.
This work will continue and I know that our next Ofsted inspection (which is likely to be early 2016, but could be sooner) will see us achieving a much higher grade.